Exposure is an application that uses a digital camera or webcam to create long exposure photos. A video can also be made into a long exposure photo if so desired.
Exposure is useful just for fun, but there are also educational uses for it - i.e. in various science experiments.
C:/Program Files/Exposure/result2.jpgetc. You may need to "run as administrator" when starting Exposure so that these files can be saved. (Users of later versions of Windows have reported finding the image in
/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Exposure.) The size depends on the resolution of the webcam, or if choosing to create a photo from a movie, this depends on the size of the frames in the movie. A standard webcam resolution is 320x240 pixels and the typical filesize of such a photo would be of the order of 20KB.
Computer\HKEY_USERS\[some guid]\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nimisis\Exposure(Vista and later). If you just installed Exposure and cannot find the registry, try restarting your computer.
CAM_REFwill usually be set to 0 but if a user has plugged multiple webcams in their machine in the past, the ID of the webcam in the windows registry might not be 0 (and they see a black window as described in Q8). In this case experimenting by setting this variable from 1 upwards should allow the user to find their webcam. If 1 through 15 fail then I would assume there is another problem/bug.
RESOLUTION_REFwhen set to
0gives a resolution of 320x240. 1 gives 640x480. 2 gives 960x720. 3 gives 1024x768. Further resolutions have not yet been implemented yet (but if you need it get in touch).
SAVE_FILE_TOdefines where to save the resulting long exposure. By default it is "result.jpg" which is saved in the local folder, alongside Exposure.exe. This can also be saved to, say, "d:/program files/result.bmp" which (note the .bmp extension) saves the file in uncompressed format.
Buy Exposure for $5
Please note before buying that even in trial mode, the webcam output should be viewable.
To get your license, follow these steps:
- Run Exposure in trial mode and see the "Purchase Exposure" dialog box pop up.
- Choose "License Info" and then enter the two lines into the form below. (This info contains your hard drive serial number and is used to encode the license.)
- The "Buy" button below will be enabled which takes you to the Paypal website where you can pay $5. (Payment via credit card is also accepted.)
- Paypal then notify our database that the transaction has taken place and we will email you with your license. Note that the license, and therefore a fully functional version of Exposure will only work on that one computer. Purchase of a new license is required if you replace your PC.
A computer, an image capture device such as a digital camera or webcam (Exposure can automatically detect and work with most image capture devices).
Version 3.6 (released 11/08/09)
- Continuous long exposures are created
- "SAVE_FILE_TO" registry variable added
- Uncompressed image support
Version 3.3 (released 30/01/08)
- Extra "burn factor" variable added
- 1024x768 and 960x720 resolution support
Version 3 (released 27/01/06)
- Various bug fixes
Version 2 (released 22/12/06)
- Display at 640x480 resolution
- Minor bug fixes
- Time elapsed is displayed in live window